The purpose of the Walking Books program is to deliver books to home-bound readers who due to age or physical disability are unable to go to the library themselves. Both the library and the Council for the Aging believe in the right of all individuals to participate in the lifelong learning process that books makes possible.
The Walking Books program was developed through a cooperative effort of the New Albany-Floyd County Public Library, the South Central Indiana Council for the Aging and Aged, and the Retired Senior Volunteer Program.
Policy for Participants
- Any resident of Floyd county, 18 years or older, who is physically unable to come to the library may participate in the program.
- The participant is responsible for the care of the books and must be willing to pay for any books that are lost or damaged.
- Interested participants will be visited by the Walking Books librarian to determine their eligibility and reading interests.
- Up to 10 books may be borrowed per delivery. Books can be renewed if not requested by another patron. Requests for specific titles should be made prior to the delivery date.
- Delivery will be every month. This will allow books to be kept for 4 weeks.
- A reminder call will be made to participants or the nursing or retirement homes prior to delivery to be sure that the previously delivered books are ready for pick up.
- Participants should contact Reference Services at 949-3523 prior to moving. If leaving an nursing or retirement home, books should be left with the resident contact person.
What Can I Get?
You can receive up to 10 library books, audiobooks, CD’s and/or magazines in each delivery.
How Do I Become a Volunteer?
If you have a love of books, some time to spend, and enjoy helping others, you can become a Walking Books program volunteer. If you’d like to deliver books, you’ll also need reliable transportation. Please contact the library’s Administrative Assistant at (812) 949-3523. You’ll be invited in for an interview and to fill out an application.
How does the program work?
Interested participants will be visited by the Walking Books librarian to determine their eligibility and reading interests. On the second Thursday of each month between 12:00 and 1:00 PM (unless otherwise requested), a volunteer will deliver books to each Walking Books patron and pick up books delivered the month before.
Who can participate?
Any resident of Floyd County, 18 years or older, who is physically unable to come to the library.
The Walking Books program may have a waiting list.