New Albany-Floyd County Public Library
Position: PT – Circulation/Media Services Asst. (25 hrs. per week, evenings/weekends)
Dept: Circulation/Media Services
Reports to: Circulation/Media Services Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Salary: $9.50 per hour
Typical Responsibilities of Position
Under general supervision, performs public service work or technical service work, serving library patrons directly or indirectly.
Examples of Work Performed
- Enters and deletes library holdings in computer database.
- Performs acquisition procedures, such as ordering, checking in materials and claiming periodicals.
- Requests interlibrary loan materials and maintains interlibrary loan files.
- Assists with collection maintenance, such as weeding print and non-print materials.
- Inventories and orders supplies and materials for programs and services specific to program area.
- Assists patrons with ready-reference, routine reader’s advisory service, and routine bibliographic instruction.
- Assists with or presents library programs, organizes special displays, creates and distributes promotional materials and electronic media.
- Does outreach programs and assists with group visits and tours of the library.
- Provides information and recommendations that can be used for materials selection.
- Creates and maintains electronic bibliographies and pathfinders utilizing Web 2.0 technologies.
- Performs other related work.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from patrons.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of library patron information.
- Ability to follow detailed instructions.
- Ability to gather statistics, analyze information and write reports.
- Ability to operate library business machines properly, which may require knowledge of databases and search methods.
- Ability to understand library policies and procedures and apply them to library operations.
- Ability to use computer software and manage computerized files.
- Ability to work independently, organize and prioritize work, respond to varied/changing work demands and make decisions as required.
- Considerable knowledge of library methods and procedures and ability to apply them to library operations.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to maintain and foster cooperative and courteous working relationships with the public, peers and supervisors.
- Computer literacy, keyboarding and filing ability.
- Willingness to maintain skills in above-mentioned areas through active participation in appropriate continuing education activities.
- Working knowledge of English grammar and spelling.
Tools and Equipment Used
- Book carts for transporting materials.
- Circulation computer equipment, including scanner, keyboards, printers.
- Laptops and LCD projectors.
- Photocopier, microfilm/fiche reader/printer, and public access computer.
- Digital cameras, mp3 players and similar equipment to create multi-media presentations for a variety of uses.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Ability to work in confined spaces.
- Bending/twisting and reaching.
- Far vision at 20 feet or further; near vision at 20 inches or less.
- Fingering: keyboarding, writing, filing, sorting, shelving and processing.
- Handling: processing, picking up and shelving books.
- Lifting and carrying: 50 pounds or less.
- Mobility: travel to meetings outside library.
- Pushing and pulling: objects weighing 30-40 pounds on wheels.
- Sitting, standing, walking, climbing, stooping, kneeling and crouching.
- Talking and hearing; use of the telephone.
Experience and Qualifications
- Two years of study at an accredited college, university or technical school.
- Computer literacy.
- Two or more years of library experience or related experience desirable
- Ability to apply technical knowledge.
- Ability to comprehend and follow instructions: effectively follow instructions from supervisor, verbally and in written form.
- Ability to deal with abstract and concrete variables
- Ability to interpret technical regulations and instructions.
- Communication Skills: effectively communicate ideas and information both in written and verbal form.
- Mathematical Ability: calculate basic arithmetic problems (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) without the aid of a calculator.
- Reading Ability: effectively read and understand information contained in memos, procedures manuals, emails, reports, etc.
- Time Management: set priorities in order to meet assignment deadlines.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Flexible work hours; frequent evening and weekend hours.
- Inside work environment.
- Exposure to dust.
Circulation/Media Services Manager
How to Apply;
Please complete employment application and submit along with resume materials to the Human Resources Office. Position open until filled.
New Albany-Floyd County Public Library
Human Resources Office
180 W. Spring Street New Albany, IN 47150
Materials may be sent to NAFC Public Library, Attn: Sandra Fortner, 180 W. Spring St., New Albany, IN 47150 or email@example.com.