Any blue text on this page is a link. Click the link to view a PDF related to the description.
Be A Booster for Southern Indiana:  An early panegyric describing the seasons and landscape of southern Indiana.
Box Spring:  The kind that provides water from under the ground, not the kind you find under a mattress.
The Buffalo Trail and Dewey Heights:  The story of the northern approach to the Kentucky and Indiana Bridge.
Early Settlements:  As our nation had increasingly become a melting pot of varied cultures, the same was true of New Albany and Floyd County, as the huddled masses settled into their new homes away from their homelands.
  • Down in Porrentruy:  A quaint old French settlement among the Indiana hills (Budd Road).
Edwardsville Tunnel:  New Albany wanted rail service to St. Louis, but first a tunnel had to be dynamited through the knobs.
Glenwood Park:  For thirty years New Albany’s summer social life centered on Glenwood Park.  Homes now completely occupy Spring and Beharrell site.
The History of Altawood:  The history and development of Altawood as prepared by Mrs. John Whitesell and Mrs. Joe Merk for the women of Altawood in 1959, including a plat map of the area.
The Illinois Grant:  What it is and how it received its name.
Indiana Knobs:  The beautiful Indiana Silver Hills.  They rise 600 feet above the Ohio and extend for fifty miles into the interior.  Settled by the French (as described in 1900).
Indiana State Historical Markers:  The location of State Historical Markers in Floyd County, including descriptive text from the markers (18 different sites).
New Albany Then and Now:  A view of New Albany 1879 by a former resident who had been away from the area for forty years, including reminiscence of Caney Knob, Clifton Heights, Oakland Heights, Grand View, Vineland, Greenland Fruit Farm, and Villa Ridge.
Parkwood:  An unincorporated village of about a dozen houses and two beer taverns, located three miles west of New Albany on Ind. 62.
Spite Lane:  Beharrell Avenue.
Street Names of New Albany:  A compilation by Earl Hedden of the origin of some New Albany street names in the 1960s.
West Union:  This neighborhood, on the north side of New Albany, supposedly provided a home for the manumitted slaves of Henry Clay.  It was also eventually the home of Apple Tree Garden and several slaughterhouses, earning it the nickname of “Butchertown”.