Job Title: Librarian
Department: Public Services
Classification: Librarian – Full Time (40 hours)
Reports To: Public Services Leader
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Certification: LC4 or higher
Salary Range: $15.00 – $18.00 per hour
Typical Responsibilities of Position
50% Customer Engagement/Assistance
10% Readers Advisory/Reference
10% Information Literacy/Programming
10% Input and Advisory in Collection Development/Weeding
10% Non-Scheduled Activities (committee service, conferences, professional development)
10% Other Duties as Assigned by Public Services Leader
Examples of Work Performed
- Assists with organization and execution of library services and programs in an area of responsibility such as information services, interlibrary loan, teen or adult services.
- Assists in the development of the library collection, making recommendations for purchases utilizing circulation statistics, professional resources, patron suggestions and preview titles.
- Monitors technology trends in the library providing input to enhance the user’s experience and stream line staff workflows.
- Assists in the team development of best practices, creating procedures and tools for cross training library staff.
- Assists in the planning/presentation of library events.
- Engage in outreach activities promoting library initiatives.
- Monitors accuracy of the public catalog, reporting corrections and enhancements.
- Monitor and evaluate emerging technology, databases, applications, personal digital devices, social media, and library programming trends.
- Provides public service assistance, including reference/ reader’s advisory.
- Provides public service at any public service desk or point of contact.
- Carries out library policies and procedures.
- Assists monthly with the compiling and analyzing of statistical information for the library.
- Serves on professional and library system committees as assigned and/or approved by leader.
- Responsible for maintaining state library certification.
- Will engage in professional development.
- Will work collaboratively with leadership to grow and expand job engagement and responsibilities.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to provide excellent customer service and engagement.
- Proven demonstrated ability to effectively conduct reference interview.
- Ability to gather, analyze and respond to statistics.
- Strong writing abilities in various forms of communication.
- Self-motivated and goal oriented relating to strategic initiatives.
- Proven ability to problem solve an identify opportunities for growth and change to enhance patron experience.
- Proficiency in understanding cataloging/classification utilizing an ILS system.
- Ability to plan, organize and carry out a program.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of library information.
- Ability to use technology and software such as Microsoft Office, integrated library systems, and digital reference tools and databases.
- Strong understanding or willingness to learn various digital platforms to provide patron assistance.
- Ability to work independently, organize and prioritize job responsibilities.
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to maintain and foster cooperative and courteous working relationships.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Adaptability and flexibility.
Tools and Equipment Used
- Book carts for transporting materials.
- Circulation computer equipment, including scanner, keyboards, printers.
- Laptops and LCD projectors.
- Photocopier, microfilm/fiche reader/printer, public access computers
- Digital cameras, ereaders, ipads, mp3 players, and similar equipment to assist patrons or to create multi-media presentations for a variety of uses.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Ability to work in confined spaces.
- Bending/twisting and reaching.
- Far vision at 20 feet or further; near vision at 20 inches or less
- Fingering: keyboarding, writing, if ling, sorting, shelving and processing.
- Handling: processing, picking up and shelving books.
- Lifting and carrying: 50 pounds or less.
- Pushing and pulling: objects weighing 30-40 pounds on wheels.
- Sitting, standing, walking, climbing, stooping, kneeling and crouching.
- Talking and hearing; use of the telephone.
Experience and Qualifications
- Master of Library Science preferred. LC4 or higher certification required.
- Two or more years of relevant library experience preferred.
How to Apply: Candidates should submit letter of interest, resume and minimum of three (3) professional references. Materials may be sent to NAFC Public Library, Attn: Sandra Fortner, 180 W. Spring St., New Albany, IN 47150 or email@example.com. Position open until filled.
The New Albany Floyd County Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer