Community Outreach Internship
The New Albany-Floyd County Public Library’s Youth Services Department is seeking applicants for an unpaid internship focusing on community outreach and serving underserved populations. The Community Outreach Internship is open to a currently enrolled undergraduate or graduate student in education, psychology, social work, communications studies, or similar.
Our intern will assist with coordinating a new program for the library: Summer Reading In Your Neighborhood. Our intern will plan and coordinate weekly activities (crafts, games, etc.) as well as coordinate the collection of books that families may check out from our “pop-up library” sites. At the sites, our intern will run crafts or activities with families, check out books to families, and run the Summer Reading Club with families (signing them up, checking them in, awarding prizes, etc.).
- gain skills and experience in lesson planning for children ages preschool through fourth grade
- develop leadership skills by coordinating all aspects of weekly activities
- gain experience in working with children and families and understanding their needs
- learn how the public library works and how we strive to reach underserved areas
- gain experience in keeping track of program statistics and evaluating the program upon completion
- develop communication and customer service skills by working with the public and communicating with other members of our Youth Services Department
The qualified applicant for this internship will have an interest in working with children and families, excellent organizational skills, and the ability to lift a minimum of 25 pounds. The typical schedule will be 9am-1pm Monday through Friday, but there will be occasional Saturday hours.
Applicants for the unpaid Community Outreach Internship should submit the following items by April 21, 2017:
- A resume detailing education and work experience
- A cover letter
- A letter of recommendation from a faculty member
Please submit applications by April 21 to Abby Johnson via email to email@example.com or to the mailing address below:
New Albany-Floyd County Public Library
180 West Spring Street
New Albany, Indiana 47150